This morning was another round of fighting the osage stave. The tiny thin rings are still very hard to see and the knots many as I have been finding out. I was getting tired of the many splinters coming out everywhere from the sides and the belly. The thick area from the dogleg was adding to the challenge so I decided to thin the belly area some. I planned for this to be a bendy bow anyways and there was way too much extra on the belly side.
Now, what was waiting for me, more big hidden splits or cracks, and a lot of various damaged wood. The damaged wood was a combination of decay within the cracks and some fire damage from when the guy tried to burn it. some of these areas were crystalized and kind of chalky.
So, for a bit, the draw knife and I were one as we attempted to remove what I could. But then the knots really put a dampener on it all. I am staring at how thick the wood is around the knots on the belly side and decide to take them to the belt sander to knock them down a bit. Then I decided to hit some of the worst damaged areas some to see what else waited for me.
Well, there were several more challenges that awaited me but I let the sander work them down some to get to better looking wood. While I removed quite a bit from the belly and some of the sides, there is still more than enough to make a bendy bow.
I may still yet try to get the twisted dog leg looking better before I finish chasing a ring. I hadn't meant to use the belt sander but it is what it is. But it is looking like it might actually make a bow in spite of what it was and is. I was really wondering if I had over challenged myself LOL.